Thursday, January 17, 2013

coming out of the fat closet



Oh no, I'm not quite there yet, but I'm working on it.

I've lost a little over 70 pounds in the past 4 months and I am quite proud of that.  I've run into a couple of people whom I haven't seen since I had surgery or since early on afterward.  They smile, give me a thumbs up. I smile, give them a thumbs up back.  Some sidle up to me, speaking out of the corner of their mouths, "You look great!  How do you feel?"  Real quiet, whispering.

I feel great.

I'm proud of myself for making a tough life decision about my health and following through with that decision.

I'm not ashamed that I couldn't just do it on my own.

I'm not ashamed that joining a group didn't help.

What it ultimately comes down to is:  I'm not ashamed.  There's no need to whisper.  There's no need to catch me alone.

I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy, not a back alley abortion, nor am I conducting a seedy drug deal.  If you know about my surgery and would like to comment on my appearance, do so...no need to be shy.  If you didn't know about my surgery and think I have cancer, you'll be just as relieved as I am for that not to be the case.  Though hopefully my hair loss WILL slow down so that won't become a completely common place reaction.  I've only had a small handful of people ask me if I'm sick, thank goodness.

I'm delighted to talk about it with anyone who'd like to know more about it.  But anyway, I just wanted to say that, to get that out there on the table.

Hi, my name is Holley.  I had weight loss surgery and I'm not ashamed.  Neither should you be.  Claim that decision for yourself, own it, be proud of it, benefit from it.  I know I'm planning to.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Glad you can move again on your knee! That was BIG deal. And you look great :)

Wine in Thyme said...

Atta girl. You should be proud.