Tuesday, August 28, 2012

broccoli carbs

Imagine my disappointment to learn that, according to the app I'm using to keep a food log, my one cup of steamed broccoli has almost 10 grams of carbohydrates.  Go on, imagine it.  I'll wait.


My second day of presurgery, low carb eating and I'm....I don't want to say miserable or uncomfortable, but it's easy to see that I was more addicted to them than I imagined.  I'm selecting from a food list provided by my doctor, so I don't have many concerns on that score but I'd really love some cheese dip and tortilla chips about now.  One of my friends on Facebook mentioned having a craving for margaritas and now that's been a recurring thought ALL. DAY. LONG.  The salt, the tequila...I can almost taste them in the air.  Oh well, there's low fat string cheese and natural almonds in my lunch box for a snack on the way home after work.  I shouldn't really be eating this late at night, but if I don't snack there'll be consequences.  And I'll have to take full responsibility for them.

Who knows how Labor Day will go.  I've had several requests for outings, but if I still feel as wishy-washy, willpower and craving-wise, as I do right now I really believe the smartest thing for me to do would be to stay home.  It could be that I'll get over the hump of this by week's end and feel stronger and more confident over the weekend but from where I'm sitting now, it seems unlikely.  Especially knowing I have those two clear liquid days coming up next Wednesday and Thursday.  I haven't been exercising because I don't want to be any hungrier that I am just sitting on my ass.

On the bright side, I learned about a protein powder today in the flavor of Peanut Butter Cookie.  Unfortunately, I also learned they were out of stock.  Trust me, when they get back in stock, I'll do my part to buy them out again.  I can imagine a Frosty Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cookie protein concoction inventing itself in my Ninja as we speak.

I've had several people ask me if I'm scared or nervous and I can't really say that I am.  I've been reading about, preparing and stocking for, and thinking about this since April.  I've got lists and motivational books and charts.  My friend KT has backed me up on a point with which I feel comfortable: I have my shit together.

I told her about some of the YouTube videos I'd briefly looked at.  There was a lot of discussion of contant nausea, not being able to eat, not knowing what to eat, and just general confusion.  But I know what to eat, was informed about the common causes of nausea after this surgery, and have no underlying health issues other than arthritic knees.

I can do this.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Yep, you can do it.
ALso? If you do go out this weekend, remember, you have a mission. Your friend posting about margaritas and your friends you are going to go out with are not ON A MISSION. In the video game of life you are on a different level. THat is all.

Holley T said...

Hopefully, it will be a higher level than I was ever actually able to achieve when I did play video games...except for Tetris. My Tetris leveling was actually pretty spectacular.

You know what, I'm just going to go with being Tetris level! That way I know I'm winning.
:-)

Anonymous said...

I always liked Donkey Kong...jump it or smash it with a hammer!! You're gonna do great!

T said...

ok, I have to get the hang of leaving a message again. :)